There are at least three movies called The Ten Commandments, and countless other movies, and TV shows about Moses and the exodus from Egypt. Most of us have probably heard or seen the story in one form or another, but do we really know what happened? I’ve been watching “Bible movies” all my life, and I’ve never seen one that was 100% accurate. There may be some out there because I’m sure I haven’t seen them all, but in the ones I have seen, there’s always something that doesn’t go along with what the Bible says. In everything I have seen about this particular story, Pharaoh usually lives and goes back to Egypt a broken man, to rule a broken kingdom, but, that’s NOT what happened. God’s word says that Pharaoh died in the Red Sea along with his army. Let’s take a look at what the Bible says.
Exodus 14: 5-6
5. And the king of Egypt was told that the people fled, and the heart of Pharaoh and the hearts of his servants were turned against the people, and they said, “Why have we done this, that we have let Israel go from serving us?”
6. And he made ready his chariot, and took his people with him:
Pharaoh himself went after Moses and the Hebrews, and he took his people with him.
Exodus 14: 9-10
9. But the Egyptians pursued after them, ALL the horses and chariots of Pharaoh, AND his horsemen, and his army, and overtook them camping by the sea, beside Pihahiroth, before Baalzephon.
10. And when Pharaoh drew near, the children of Israel lifted up their eyes, and, behold, the Egyptians marched after them; and they were sore afraid, and the children of Israel cried out unto the LORD.
Notice who all went with Pharaoh: ALL the Horses and Chariots, AND his Horsemen AND his Army. Then God spoke to Moses…
18. And the Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD when I have gotten myself honor upon Pharaoh, upon his chariots, and upon his horsemen.
21. And Moses stretched out his hand over the sea, and the LORD caused the sea to go back by a strong east wind all that night and made the sea dry land, and the waters were divided.
22. And the children of Israel went into the midst of the sea upon the dry ground, and the waters were a wall unto them on their right hand, and on their left.
23. And the Egyptians pursued and went in after them into the midst of the sea. All Pharaoh’s horses, his chariots, and his horsemen.
28. And the waters returned and covered the chariots, and the horsemen, and all the army of Pharaoh that came into the sea after them. There remained not so much as one of them.
Notice, they ALL went into the sea. This is reaffirmed in Exodus chapter 15, and in the book of Psalms.
9. He rebuked the Red sea also, and it was dried up. So he led them through the depths, as through the wilderness.
10. And he saved them from the hand of him that hated them and redeemed them from the hand of the enemy.
11. And the waters covered their enemies. There was not one of them left.
Not One Left. None of them. They ALL drowned.
19. For the horse of Pharaoh went in with his chariots and with his horsemen into the sea,…
Would Pharaoh’s horse go into the sea without Pharaoh? Maybe. But the next verse shows Pharaoh went in, too.
15. But overthrew Pharaoh and his host in the Red Sea.
There it is in plain English.
1) Pharaoh Followed the Hebrews. (Exod. 14:6-10)
2) Pharaoh took ALL the Horses and Chariots, AND his Horsemen AND his Army with him. (Exod. 14:9, 23)
3) Pharaoh and All his horses, his chariots, and his horsemen went into the Red Sea. (Exod. 14:23, Exod. 15:19)
4) Pharaoh drowned in the Red Sea with his army. (Ps. 136:15, Ps. 106:9-11, Exod. 14:18, 28)
The Bible is clear about it. We should trust God’s word, no matter what Science and History say. Time and time again, archaeology has proven the events recorded in the Bible are true, though Science and History said for years that it was wrong. I would like to suggest that we believe the Bible, and stop trying to make God’s word fit into the mold of what men say happened in history. When we have a question, we need to ask ourselves, What Does The Bible Say?
© 2014 Teddy Lynn – All Rights Reserved