“In the beginning, GOD created the heaven and the earth.” That’s the introduction line to the creation story from Genesis, the first book of the holy Bible. In the article titled *IN THE BEGINNING, we saw what the Bible means by “In The Beginning.” It refers to the time when God created our solar system, with the sun, the moon, the stars and all the planets, including the earth, and everything in it. In the article called **IS THE BIBLE REALLY GOD’S WORD? we also established that the Bible really was prepared for us by God, and preserved for us for around six thousand years. The men who wrote the Bible were inspired to do so by the Holy Spirit of God, and he inspired them with what to write (2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:21).
For this study, we’ll look at the six days of creation. There are several beliefs about the beginning of our world. You’ve probably heard all of them that I have, but only one of them can be true. I believe God created everything just like the Bible says, so I reject the evolution theory, and that’s all it is; a theory. If you believe in evolution, please stay with me. I want you to see that the Bible can be trusted, and so can God. And by the way, I once believed in evolution, but God led me to the truth through His word.
The strange thing is, I believed in God as well as evolution, and I saw no conflict with believing in both. Then, I started studying the Bible, and it all made perfect sense. Today, many Christians, who love God, are embracing evolution as a possible way for our world to have become populated. This lessens God’s role and really makes him just another god among many. Some have embraced the teaching that each day of the creation week lasted a thousand years. Others believe the six days were just extended periods of time, which could have been millions of years. Neither group believes these were six literal, twenty-four hour days. These beliefs and teachings are destroying people’s faith in God and the Bible, and it’s being done from within the church as well as from without.
How do we fix this problem? Well, I truly believe the main problem is that people do not read, and study the bible. Some may listen to someone speak once or twice a week, but never study to see if what they are being told is true. This is happening more and more. The solution is for everyone to grab a bible, and start reading and studying so we can understand for ourselves what God has to say to us in his holy book.
The Apostle Paul said the people who lived in the town of Berea studied the scriptures daily to see if what they were being taught was true (Acts 17:11). That’s exactly what all of us need to be doing today. It’s the only way to avoid being deceived.
Using less than ten references from the Bible we will see that the creation week WAS six literal days, and NOT six thousand years, or any extended period of time.
2 Peter 3:7-9
7. But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
8. But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day.
9. The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
2. Before the mountains were brought forth, or before you ever had formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting, you are God.
3. You turn man to destruction; and say Return, you children of men.
4. For a thousand years in your sight are only as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.
Neither of these scriptures says a thousand years IS a day. The “thousand years are AS one day” simply means God is not restrained by time. God is everlasting and has always existed and always will. In his scope of time, a thousand years is only a moment. That’s what these verses mean. The following verses show that the six days of creation week WERE literal 24 hour days.
1. In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth.
2. And the earth was without form, and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4. And God saw the light and saw that it was good: and God separated the light from the darkness.
5. And God called the light Day, and he called the darkness, Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
8. ….And the evening and the morning were the second day.
13. And the evening and the morning were the third day.
19. And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
23. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
31. And God saw everything that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
Evening and Morning = Night and Day = A literal day.
The next verses give even more proof.
8. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work:
10. But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God: in it, you shall not do any work, you, nor your son, nor your daughter, your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor the stranger that is within your gates:
11. Because in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and everything that is in them, and he rested the seventh day: Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and made it holy.
16. Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
17. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: because in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed.
When we obey God and keep the Sabbath every week, we are not celebrating to commemorate the fact that God created everything is 6,000 years. No, these verses tell us that he created the heavens and the earth and the sea and everything that is in them, in six literal days. Then he rested on the Seventh Day. This is where the seven-day week comes from. So we see from the Bible that God created the heavens and the earth, actually our solar system, in six literal days.
* In The Beginning
** Is The Bible Really God’s Word?
© 2014 Teddy Lynn – All Rights Reserved
My book The Journey To Heaven is available in paperback and digital format on Amazon.com.